Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Neighbors


What is the nicest thing you have done for a neighbor? Please tell me in a comment. 

Last night my brother-in-law noticed something not quite right in the doorway of a neighbor. He could have just gone to bed but he investigated. By morning, the elderly neighbor, who had fallen, was resting comfortably after a good night's sleep in new pajamas that fit him. He had slippers that fit him and a walker, with the promise that his neighbors would help him learn to use it. His brother arrived around 7 a.m. and thanked my family for all their help. 

I am comforted that the pandemic has helped us as a people to find our human compassion. When pestilence comes to visit, we all remember instinctively that we need our neighbors and we are needed by them. The exhortations about the evil of our neighbors to the South, North and across the oceans are fewer in our news broadcasts.  We appreciate the kindness of our neighbors. 

“Something there is that doesn’t love a wall, 
That wants it down.”  -- Robert Frost  

I believe that we can maintain our new-found spirit of neighborliness when today’s troubles are past. As members of the human family, we will all be better for it. 


“Rio after the wall” 6 inches H X 10 inches W   
Woodblock print on screen-printed background, printed on archival paper 



4 comments:

  1. I can't remember anything nice I've done for a neighbour, I'm not a very neighbourly person, I guess ~ but I do remember I got locked out of my house once and I had no phone on me, but these super nice people from the house across the street lent me their phone, so I was able to call someone in the house to let me in. I don't forget things like that. Anyway I'm glad you're seeing acts of kindness in these times, super kudos to your brother-in-law, we need more people like him in the world more than ever ^__^*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughtful response. You are right, acts of kindness are never forgotten and my brother-in-law may have saved a life. We do need more people like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how optimistic we as a people are even amidst these trying times! I find that people all over the world truly are kind, the rat race makes us a bit weird!

    ReplyDelete