Saturday, June 13, 2020

Elaine de Kooning Speaks


May you experience "a glorious tough originality" in these challenging times.

Painter Elaine de Kooning made the statement shown below after moving to New Mexico. If you've spent any time in that enchanting state, you understand exactly what she was talking about.


I've been reading biographies of Elaine de Kooning, most recently "A Generous Vision" by Cathy Curtis. What a fascinating life, presented in a creative and unusual biography.

I have been interested in this artist's work since some of her large paintings were included in an exhibit of women's art at the Denver Art Museum a couple of years ago. Then I saw one of her small works on the wall of my Friend, Barbara H.  As a young art student Barbara H met “Elaine de K" in New York. The artist, who was as generous as she is said to have been, gave my friend the little piece that has a place of honor in her Denver condo.

I always knew that artist "Elaine de K” had an unusual marriage to Willem de Kooning, that she had painted before she met her husband and after they parted ways. I didn't realize that she was also an important writer, covering other artists, their processes, and their work for years. I imagine the artists of her time were thankful that she wrote about them. I am thankful that people have chosen to write about her art, her courageous personality, and her connection to the lives of the other artists of her time.



No comments:

Post a Comment